Tuesday 6 December 2011

How to Sing "Oh Christmas Tree" in Estonian

During my recent trip to Tallinn the only item I was unable to buy on my shopping list was an Estonian Christmas carols book. I really wanted to get my hands on a copy because the only carol we sing in Estonian in my family is "Oh Christmas Tree" and I want to learn more. I made a few enquiries but unfortunately they were all sold out. I was told there was a copy available in Viljandi but I wasn't in a position to travel there. Maybe I could find a copy online.

"Oh kuusepuu"
"O Christmas Tree"
Oh kuusepuu, oh kuusepuu
     O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree!
Kui haljad on su oksad!
     How are thy leaves so verdant!
Ei mitte üksi suisel a’al.
     Not only in the summertime,
Vaid talvel ka siin külmal maal
     But even in winter is thy prime.
Oh kuusepuu, oh kuusepuu
     O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
Kui haljad on su oksad!
     How are thy leaves so verdant!